College Search and Financial Information
What's the Right College For You And How To Get There?
Searching for the Right College
- FCPS - College and Career Planning - This site is filled with great information
- Big Future - The College Board
- College Data
- College View
- Peterson's College Search
How to Apply for College
- Applying to College - U.S. News & World Report
- Advice On Applying To College From A New College Student- Forbes Education
- Applying 101 - Big Future by The College Board
- Application Tips from Expert College Admissions Consultants - College Coach
- Expert Advice: 6 Mistakes to Avoid on Your College Application - Nerdwallet
Interviewing for College
- College Interviews: The Basics - By The College Board
- Top College Interview Tips - The Princeton Review
- Avoid These Top College Admissions Interview Mistakes - U.S. News & World Report
How to Pay for College?
Warning signs for scholarship scams:
- Don't apply if there is a request for scholarship "fees"
- There is never any "Guaranteed" money so don't be scammed by this ploy.
FCPS and Academy Scholarship Information
- FCPS has an online scholarship database through Family Connections in Blackboard. Remember that some scholarships are time sensitive and must be submitted ON TIME! Better to apply early than late.
- Deputy Chief William A. Allen Memorial Scholarship - A scholarship fund only for students who are currently enrolled or have successfully completed the Criminal Justice Level II course at Falls Church Academy.
- If you are interested in contributing to the Deputy Chief William A. Allen Memorial Scholarship by providing additional funds or establishing a new Falls Church Academy scholarship contact Academy Administrator: Bill McGreevy at 703-207-4181 or @email
Financial Aid for College for Military Dependents
For dependents of disabled veterans or service members, there are state and federal programs.
- Virginia Military Service Dependents Education Program for dependents of deceased and 90% disabled Virginia veterans
- Federal Program - Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA) (chapter 35 of title 38, U.S. Code) - This program is for dependents of veterans or service members who are 100% disabled. This benefit does not cover 100% of tuition and fees, but pays $1003.00 per month to the student and is to be used to pay tuition.
Websites Offering Financial Aid Information
* The web-links below are intended to provide information for the college funding process. The websites and their information is in no way supported by Falls Church Academy or Fairfax County Public Schools. As will all information providing financial advice or support, please read carefully all the details involved and make the best choice for your financial situation.
- College Savings Plan Network
- The College Board - SAT information, college search apply on-line, scholarship search
- The Air Force Aid Society - Air Force Dependents scholarships, loans and grants
- The Navy/Marine Corps Relief Society - Navy and Marine Corps active duty and dependents grants and loans
- The Army Emergency Relief - Scholarships and aid for active duty Army soldiers and their dependents.
- Job Corps
- Virginia Wizard - Has great information on careers, colleges, and paying for college plus personal values and interestes, college majors and programs of study across Virginia's colleges and universities, and transferring from a community college to a four-year college or university.
- Imagine America Foundation
- CSS/Financial Aid Profile
- Federal Student Aid
- Mapping Your Future
- US Department of Education
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Virginia Private Colleges
- CollegeNET - Features a scholarship search with more than 600,000 scholarships in the database
- Online Colleges, scholarships and degree programs
- Financial Aid for students with disabilities - http://www.finaid.org/otheraid/ld.phtml
- Princeton Review
- CollegeAnswer - Website sponsored by Salie Mae dedicated to collleges and scholarships
- International Education Financial Aid
- Big Future
- Under the “Pay for College” button
Don’t limit yourself to what is listed above as there are countless organizations that have scholarships available for people just like you! Just remember - never pay for scholarship searches.